You are who He says you are. You don’t need to compare yourself to anyone else any longer. When you look in the mirror, smile back at yourself and remind yourself of Biblical truths such as “I am blessed in the heavenly places.” Stick around a bit as we discover who we are in Christ which makes us unique.
Before we dig in, I’d like you to think about heaven for a few minutes.
Did you know that there is a book in Father’s vast library that has your name on it? Did you even realize that Father has a library? Can you imagine the rows and rows of bookshelves? I think about the local libraries I have visited and can just imagine how big Father’s library is!
The section of books that we will look at today on Father’s bookshelves are the books that have our names on them.
For instance, if you look over here, you’ll find my book — Cindy’s Destiny. It was written a very long time ago. In fact, it was written before the very foundation of the earth!
You are Unique
How do I know this? These truths will help:
Ephesians 1 tells us who we are…blessed with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ. All because He chose us in Christ Jesus from before the foundation of the world.
It is written in my book that I should walk holy and blameless before Him. It is also written that I am predestined to be adopted into God’s family through Jesus Christ.
If this is written about me, then you can be sure it is written about you too.
Psalm 139.16 tells us “Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them.” (KJV)
What is Written in Our Own Books?
Let’s take a closer look at these Scripture verses that reveal who you and I are.
Ephesians and Colossians are full of who I am in Christ. This is my destiny…. yours too. Particularly notice the “in Whom”, “in Him”, “by Him”. Circle them so these words stand out in your Bible. These are identifiers of who you are in Him.
(I emphasized “I”, “we”, “us”, “you”, etc.)
- Ephesians 1.3 I am blessed in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ
- Ephesians 1.4 He chose me in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight
- Ephesians 1:5 In love he predestined me for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ
- Ephesians 1:11-12 In him I was also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory
- Ephesians 2:6-7 God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus
- Ephesians 2:18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit
- Ephesians 3:12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence
- Colossians 2:6-7 Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude
- Colossians 2:9-10 For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority
- Colossians 3:1 If you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
Doesn’t that just excite you, to read about your position in Christ? Discover more in Ephesians and Colossians as there are so many more verses that identify you. Did you use a coloured pencil to mark in your Bible “in Whom”, “in Him”, “by Him”?
You are who He says you are!
The Book in Heaven Called the “Book of Life”
This is a very important book, the Book of Life. Our names are not on the cover but they are within its pages if you are of the family of God. Check these out:
Psalm 69:28 May they be blotted out of the book of life And may they not be recorded with the righteous.
Philippians 4:3 Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.
Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
Revelation 13:8 All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain.
Revelation 17:8 The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to come up out of the abyss and go to destruction. And those who dwell on the earth, whose name has not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, will wonder when they see the beast, that he was and is not and will come.
Read this carefully and note the plural on “book”….there are many books in heaven and one is yours! Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.
Revelation 20:15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
Revelation 21:27 and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.
Revelation 22:1 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.
Why do we need to know these verses about this particular book? Well, the book of life is concerning your eternal destination. The destination of heaven versus the destination of the lake of fire.
I’m so glad my name is found in the Book of Life! Are you?
Wrapping it Up
I hope you enjoyed this quick study about the book in heaven that has your name on the cover.
Whatever trials may come, whatever door is opened or closed, as long as I am walking in obedience to God, then I am fulfilling the destiny that He planned for me.
So, I’m excited to see what the next chapter is about in my book. We have decided to allow the tough times, life’s curve balls, to be used to strengthen our faith. We’re walking in the Lord as He instructs so all is good. Glory to Him! May my life follow His plans for me.
I pray that you will allow Father to direct your steps as well.
As always, has this helped you to see that you have a book with your name on it? Had you ever thought of that before? I welcome your comments, below!
Cindy Barnes has been called by God in the early 80s to be a teacher of His Word. She is a serious student of the Word, focusing on the Inductive Bible Study Method since 2007. Her passion is to teach women how to study the Bible using this method. In addition, she desires for women to develop an intense yearning to draw closer to God through reading and writing out the Bible.
Cindy teaches hundreds of women in her private online Bible Study Group who express their joy of growing deeper in their spiritual walk.
You can stay in touch with Cindy on Facebook through Women’s Tabletop Friendship.